Tuesday, May 1, 2012

In Memoriam: Coby McFarlane

Earlier today, my Grandma - Coby McFarlane entered into coma, the final stage in her battle with Cancer.  My family is by her side in Alberta, and they estimate she doesn't have much longer. At 81, she has lived her life to the fullest and is now ready to move on from here.

Grandma is one of the many people who I have lost over the years to Cancer. In 2000, when I was only 16 my mother died from her five year battle with the disease. Only a few years prior, my grandfather suffered the same fate. I have seen friends and family, extended and distant deal with this awful disease time and time again.

There is currently no cure for Cancer. It is a disease that eats away at our body, and the only solution is to cut it out, but even then it may not be good enough. Chemo and Radiation combat the disease but are not medicine like cough syrup or tylenol. It's all to prevalent how often cancer presents it self in our society.

In 2010, I wrote a screenplay about my family's struggle with the disease, and in it the main character hears the word cancer over and over again in a pop culture montage...It's everywhere and so hard to escape. This is why I am honoured to put on my GLAM!'s for Cancer Research.

Despite the amount of work, time and money that goes into these events, it is so rewarding to know that my time, energy and your donations is going towards finding a cure. Finding an answer and helping others deal with this painful process.

My family started the Pat McFarlane Cancer Research Foundation for one reason, to ensure future children don't have to deal with what we have. As I see my Dad say goodbye to another loved one to this awful disease, I want to remind people that the children don't have to be 2 or 5 or 15 but can be 51. Cancer has too long been a battle in my family and our world.

Please do your part to fight this awful disease. Donate today to your local cancer research foundation. And most importantly hug your loved ones. If I could have one wish in life, it would be to spend 5 minutes hugging my mother tightly.

I love you Grandma. Now go on and smile...time to see your husband, daughter in law, sisters and brothers in heaven.

Love Christopher